The Journal reviews submissions two times a year, in February-March and August. Please submit your manuscript online via Scholastica or through the anonymous submission process detailed below. In addition…
The Hastings Law Journal gladly considers unsolicited manuscripts by members of the legal community. The Journal reviews submissions two times a year, in February–March and August, which is online through Scholastica or through the anonymous submission process detailed below. Please submit your manuscript online via Scholastica. In addition to articles, the Journal welcomes essays, speeches, responses, and other forms of scholarly publications.
The Hastings Law Journal is accepting submissions for Volume 72! Please also note the Journal will no longer be giving automatic reprints, however, we will work with you to order them through our publisher.
Please review the requirements for anonymous submission. They are summarized below:
- Submissions should be double-spaced and typewritten with citations in footnote style. We prefer articles under 30,000 words (including text AND footnotes)—approximately 60 law review pages.
- No student-written articles will be considered for publication.
- Citations should conform to the Bluebook (20th 2015)
- Please make sure your paper is in .doc or .docx format.
- Please scrub all meta-data and identifying information from your paper.
- After scrubbing all identifying information, please click the link “Submission Website” below. This will take you to a “Drive Uploader” window. Also here.
- Please save your article in conformity with the following naming convention “Article Title_Submission Date.” If you cannot fit both the article title and the date of submission, please omit the “submission date.”
- Upload the .doc or .docx version of your article.
- Please input ONLY your First Name in the “Name” box and please use a PERSONAL email address that does not identify the institution you work for, e.g. “John” and “email@example.com.”
- Go ahead and click “Submit. ”
- Your article has been transferred to a google drive managed by firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted by a member of the Articles team if your article is currently under review. If you have any questions, please email our executive articles editor Tyler Runsten at email@example.com.
- Articles that are selected from the blind submissions review will include in the star footnote a statement stating “This Article was selected through the Hastings Law Journal’s double-blind review process.” The double-blind review evaluates the article solely on substances and gives no weight to any other criteria.
The Hastings Law Journal currently is accepting submissions for Volume 72 (2020-2021) through Scholastica.
- Submissions should be double-spaced and typewritten with citations in either footnote or endnote style. We prefer articles that are under 30,000 words, including text and footnotes – approximately 60 law review pages.
- Citations should conform to The Bluebook (20th ed. 2015).
- All submissions should be accompanied by a CV, cover letter, and a brief abstract. All necessary contact information should also be included.
To request an expedited review during business hours, please do so on Scholastica or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Expedite requests should include the author’s name, the title of the article, the name(s) of the offering journal(s), and the deadline date.
For assistance regarding an ongoing communication with our Articles staff, please contact them at email@example.com.
Executive Articles Editor, Volume 71, Tyler Runsten